Monday, December 31, 2012

Pitch Wars: An Unexpected Journey (that's only just begun!): Part 2: Even More Colons In The Title Than Before!

So when we last left off, I had just discovered that two awesome ladies wanted to mentor my manuscript in Pitch Wars. And I had come to the awful realization that I could only work with one of them.

Okay guys and gals, I'm going to be upfront here and say that you won't find many details in this post about WHY I made the decision I made. I respect both Sharon and Cupid waaaaay too much to publicly post why I chose one over the other.

The 24 hours immediately following the Twitter-splosion were, how shall I say, intense. Here is a breakdown of what happened:

The emails/ DMs/etc. came in between 2 and 3 in the afternoon, while I was at work. I went and stared at a cheetah for a while and took care of some parrots, all while in a daze, then drove to a birthday dinner with friends from work around six. I shared the craziness there and tried to resist checking my phone every five seconds. I think I only checked it every ten.

When I came home around 8:30/9, I discovered that my rabbit had not eaten her dinner and was lying with her belly pressed to the floor of her house-- a sign of intestinal distress in bunnies. Instead of the intelligent, thorough research I told myself I would do before making my decision, I spent the rest of the evening snuggling her and trying to decide if it was a bad enough episode that she needed to go to the emergency vet or if she would recover with some home-administered first aide. I was also a bit concerned because I had to be up at 5:30 AM to go back into work. I stayed up with her-- dozing off for a few minutes here and there-- until about 4 AM when she started showing signs of improvement and finally ate her dinner.

Since none of you know my rabbit, I will say now that snuggling her is pretty much a three-handed endeavor. Even when she doesn't feel well, she's . . . wily.

When my husband finally came out to ask why I hadn't come to bed, I went back to bed with him and managed to get a little over an hour of sleep, telling myself I'd do that research on my break, or my lunch, and email my decision then.

Yeah. No.

Things popped up all morning long, keeping me from doing little more than reading emails they'd each sent me and remembering what I could of blog posts I'd read. All that did was make the decision more difficult. I called my husband and my best friend and chatted briefly with a close writing friend between cutting up vegetables and weighing all sorts of pellets and meat for animal diets. Brenda was patiently waiting for me to tell her my decision so she could finish her blog post. Not to mention Sharon and Cupid!

To employ a narrative cut, I chose Cupid.

Was it a hard decision? Well; given that it took me about a month to find a new laptop-- yes. I'm a HUGE what-iffer, which has served me well as a writer, but not so well in real life. I'm great at finding reasons to doubt myself once I think I know what I want.

Do I regret my decision? Hell naw. I only regret that I couldn't pick them both. But that would have been a bit selfish of me, huh? (Also against the contest rules, and all that. Whatevs).

So yeah. Not glamorous. Not even all that exciting-- though it was action packed.

Now comes the truly hard part, anyway! Time for Cupid and me to get to work!

Watch out, #PitchWars!

1 comment:

  1. Bom dia, muito legal seu blog e muito bem arrumado, por isso estou seguindo