Sunday, April 4, 2010

Earthquake

Most everything seems to be fine here. We weren't home for it, but our house appears to be undamaged and nothing even out of place.

We were at W.F.'s parent's house,and had just sat down to Easter dinner when it started. Everything rumbled and swayed for what felt like forever. There have been a few small aftershocks, but hopefully nothing bigger again in the coming days. It was centered about 112 miles southeast of us in MexiCali, and last I heard at a 7.2. My heart goes out to the people there-- knowing that the construction in the area could be pretty similar to that of Haiti and Chile, I can imagine that there are casualties and damage. I don't have much definitive news just yet, but I'm hoping it's not as bad as the other two recent disasters.

Just wanted to let any of you who were wondering know we're okay over here-- I haven't really heard of any building damage (in the San Diego area, at least), and I have friends and relatives all over the county.

5 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law mentioned the quake today when we called. She said it rolled for a long time.

    I'm not a huge fan of earthquakes- we get a ton in Alaska. My sister-in-law scoffed when my husband commented that we don't like them. She forgot the biggest quake in North America was the Good Friday Quake of 1964 in AK.

    I hope everyone in Mexicali is all right. A 7.2 is a biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I've never been in an earthquake but I can imagine how frightening it would be to have everything shaking around you.

    About the biggest disaster I was in was a series of microburst tornadoes in Upstate NY about 12 years ago. That was not a whole lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pretty wild yesterday. I'm in oceanside and we shook for about 40 seconds.

    Yikes.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear all is well with you. What a scary thing to go through!

    ReplyDelete